Sunday, September 16, 2012

Linux System Administration

This past Thursday, I attended a workshop that was hosted by IT-oLogy that focused on teaching the basics of system administration in a Linux environment. Now, I'm not too savvy with Linux due to lack of experience using the OS, but I have had experience with system administration on a MAC and on Windows. Some of the topics covered during this workshop were familiar to me, but others were completely unique to Linux. For example, I learned that on Linux, everything is stored under one file directory, or "root". This means all files, hardware and software can be accessed from this one directory. This is very different from other operating systems like Windows, which uses multiple drives and directories to store data. This method used by Linux is much easier to navigate and locate files and the system allows for built in RAID capabilities. After attending this workshop I feel like I would be comfortable in using the command line in Linux to perform operations and I plan to play around with this new found knowledge on my Ubuntu system at home. For any of you that are interested in learning more about this workshop, I will provide the link to the presentation. Also, feel free to attend any future workshops hosted by IT-oLogy, they are all free and offer excellent information for beginners and experts. I know that I plan to attend many more over the next couple of months. See you there!

Presentation: https://ch1prd0202.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ncgdWu9jqEukwSC3-trQR56y3oa9Z88IOcDblk9VzBWCClgUKVLfJ9l0U6tUqKh_MlU1C-iF-qY.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fjrs-s.net%2flinux_sysadmin_101%2flinux_sysadmin_101.odp

No comments:

Post a Comment